Thursday, June 4, 2009

Topic for June Teaching help in Kitchen

Are the children lined up to help in the kitchen?

No way! We have 10 children and there is no room for a line anyway :) Every week my kids are assigned a Zone in the house. The kitchen is Zone 2 and it's the toughest job in the house. Who ever has Zone 2 for the week is responsible for the pantry, meal planning, cleaning, cooking and serving. The kitchen is also my domain so, I am always there for support especially for the younger kids.

At what age do you start training your children to be helpful?
What areas do you start with?

No one is this house is too young to help. It starts when they learn to take toys out, they can put them back. My 4 & 5 year olds don't know how to change a diaper, but they know how to put a diaper on, so I let them do that part. 3, 4, & 5 year olds are always eager helpers when it comes to new and little babies so right there is a good start.

Do you have a special way to train them?

Our family always says a Morning Offering as soon as each of us wakes up. Then we meet before breakfast for the Angelus, Grace and our family's favorite prayer, "Jesus, Mary & Joseph, I love you. Help me to love others and myself the way you love me." 3 times.
The following scripture is an important reminder that we should always seek to serve the least among us, especially for us parents and older children.

Matt. 10:42- And whoever gives only a cup of cold water to one of these little ones to drink because he is a disciple--amen, I say to you, he will surely not lose his reward."

I remind the kids that we do this out of love for Him and to always seek his face in others. Mother Teresa was a great example of this.

I wish I could share more. For me it has been a tremendous lesson to learn how to serve my family. We struggle everyday, but it's a good fight :)

Michelle Briseno

A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no aw, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.- Agatha Christie

No comments: